Posted by Brigham and Women's Hospital April 10, 2013
Andre Seale isn’t going to wait for you to come to a blood drive. He’s going to bring it to you.
Starting this month, Andre will take on a huge responsibility: driving the brand new 42-foot Dana-Farber Cancer Institute/Brigham and Women’s Hospital Blood Mobile around the greater Boston area. The vehicle, which includes everything needed for a blood drive, will expand our ability to make blood donation more convenient and help spread the word about its importance.
“Now we can have a blood drive anywhere that has a wide enough area for us to park in,” explains Seale. “I also won’t need to lug around equipment, because it’s all on board.”
Judith Wallace, MSM, Administrative Director for the Joint Program in Transfusion Medicine at Brigham and Women’s and Dana-Farber, says that about 30,000 units of blood are needed each year to serve all the patients at both institutions, and we often struggle to meet that target. “We collect from 3,500 to 4,500 units a year, year after year, or about 10 to 15 percent of our needs,” she notes.
Wallace hopes that the new Blood Mobile, complete with its five donor beds, three screening rooms, and additional space, will allow more organizations to host blood drives and increase the number of units collected.
“Being able to take the Blood Mobile out to sites makes us more accessible,” adds Malissa Lichtenwalter, Supervisor of Blood Donor Recruitment. “Additionally, we hope people will see the vehicle parked in front of buildings and think ‘We should have a blood drive, too,’ and be reminded of someone who needed blood and want to host a blood drive.”
- Join DFCI and BWH employees, patients and their families, and other friends on Friday, April 12, in the lot behind the Shapiro Center at 70 Francis Street. You can tour the new Blood Mobile, take photos, and meet staff from 9:30am until noon, followed by an on-board blood drive to benefit our patients from 12:30 to 3:30pm.
- The Blood Mobile will be parked at the Brigham and Women’s/Mass General Health Care Center, 20 Patriot Place, Foxborough, MA for a blood drive on Thursday April 25, from 9:30am to 3pm. Contact Jessica Tancrell at (508) 718-4311 or email@example.com to schedule an appointment.
- To host the Blood Mobile at a drive in your community, please contact Malissa Lichtenwalter at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-632-3355.
- If you would like to schedule an appointment to donate blood or platelets at the Kraft Family Blood Donor Center at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (DFCI) and Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH), or if you have questions about donating, please call 617-632-3206 or email email@example.com.
- Read about the impact of blood donation on a young family: Need a Good Reason to Donate Blood?